Imagine that you are doing a project on the career fields Zetland teenagers consider the most promising for the future. You have found some data on the subject – the results of the opinion polls (see the bar chart below).
Comment on the data in the bar chart and give your opinion on the subject of the project.
The opinion poll question:
Which career field do you think offers the most promising future?
- Service industries – 33%
- Manufacturing industry – 20%
- Science & technology – 18%
- Education – 15%
- Civil service – 14%
Write 200-250 words.
Use the following plan:
– make an opening statement on the subject of the project;
– select and report 2–3 facts;
– make 1–2 comparisons where relevant and give your comments;
– outline a problem that can arise with choosing a career and suggest a way of solving it;
– conclude by giving and explaining your opinion on the importance of a career choice in the modern world.
Lack of guidance
Before you start browsing through online or offline career guidance information, do a self-assessment of your ability and passion. It is advisable that you talk to your teachers, parents, school/college alumni about your choices.
Peer and parent pressure
You need to understand that it is absolutely fine to select a career that’s not the choice of your peers or parents. You should have a solid conviction in your career choice so that you can explain to parents why it matters to you.
Salary-driven decisions/ Financial concerns
The relevancy of every job profile and industry changes from time to time. What matters is that whatever career you pick, you have to continuously upgrade yourself with new skills to stay relevant in the industry. Pay attention to your work satisfaction and the growth opportunities in that career.