Imagine that you are doing a project on what views about the causes of global warming are commonly held in Zetland. You have found some data on the subject – the results of the opinion polls (see the bar chart below).
Comment on the data in the bar chart and give your opinion on the subject of the project.
- Industrial activity – 26,4%
- Agricultural activity – 25,6%
- Variations in the sun’s intensity – 25,2%
- Deforestation – 18,4%
- Oil and gas drilling – 4,4%
Write 200-250 words.
Use the following plan:
– make an opening statement on the subject of the project;
– select and report 2–3 facts;
– make 1–2 comparisons where relevant and give your comments;
– outline a problem caused by global warming and suggest a way of solving it;
– conclude by giving and explaining your opinion on the major causes of global warming.
The greenhouse effect is claimed to be the main (primary) driver of global warming, which stresses ecosystems through temperature rises, water shortages, increased fire threats, drought, just to name a few.
It is important we (should) use smarter technologies, encourage responsible behaviours, and implement effective policies to mitigate the negative effects of global warming. For example, improvements to energy efficiency and vehicle fuel economy, increases in wind and solar power, biofuels, setting a price on carbon, and protecting forests are all potent ways to reduce the amount of carbon dioxide and other heat-trapping greenhouse gases.
Scientists are also working on ways to sustainably produce hydrogen to feed zero-emission fuel cells for transportation and electricity.
Other efforts are aimed at building better batteries to store renewable energy; engineering a smarter electric grid; and capturing carbon dioxide from power plants and other sources with the goal of storing it underground or turning it into valuable products such as gasoline.
Some people argue that nuclear power – despite concerns over safety, water use, and toxic waste – should also be part of the solution, because nuclear plants do not contribute any direct air pollution while operating.
It is vital that people use technologies to extract existing carbon dioxide from the atmosphere.